Virginia Wine Month
October is Virginia Wine Month and we're celebrating with plenty of well-loved local and state vintages. Plan to include one of these opportunities this month when you visit Lexington, Buena Vista, and Rockbridge County.
Sheridan Livery Inn | Downtown Lexington
The new wine bar at Sheridan Livery Inn features many favorite Virginia wines like Barboursville Chardonnay, Lovingston Seyval Blanc, Jefferson Viognier and Meritage, and our personal favorite dessert wine, Rockbridge Riesling. In total, wine lovers will find more than 100 bottles at Sheridan Livery Wine Bar.
Rockbridge Vineyard | Raphine
Celebrating their 25th Annual Harvest Festival this year on October 6, Rockbridge Vineyard has produced many award-winning wines. A farm winery, their tasting room is found along one side of a classic Shenandoah Valley bank barn with adjacent silos that people love to photograph.
Visit the winery for tastings, lounging on the deck, or for one of their Uncorked Sunday concerts. This month you can hear great music from Jeff Mason and Dennis Thorne on the 14th and Pete Fishman on the 28th. Uncorked is Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m. with food trucks on site. Bring a chair and relax.
** If you happen to be traveling into the Lexington area via Interstate 64 from the west, stop at the Covington Virginia Welcome Center and pick up a cork. That cork will earn you a free wine tasting at Rockbridge Vineyard this month.
Lexington Valley Vineyard | Rockbridge Baths
You'll love the deck at Lexington Valley Vineyard. The views are incredible at this boutique winery in Rockbridge County. They're open by appointment only, but you're welcome to bring your favorite foods to pair with their wines when you visit. Try their Norton, a Virginia favorite crafted from the notable heirloom Norton grape.
Jump Mountain Vineyard | Rockbridge Baths
European style wines flow from this small family farm winery. So named for its view of Jump Mountain and the micro climate it helps create in the valley, Jump Mountain Vineyard is open by appointment on Saturdays and Sundays.
Special Wine Month and Seasonal Dining Opportunities
Southern Inn | Lexington
Virginia Gold Asian Pear Bread Pudding – Served with Savory Butternut Squash Ice Cream
Gingerale – White Chocolate Sauce and Topped with Candied Ginger
Haywood’s | Lexington
Seasonal Cocktail And Wine Menus To Pair with Entrees
Chef’s Selection, Changes Daily
artisan cheese, locally cured meats, local breads, jams and honey
NY Strip 12oz
pomme puree, broccoli rabe, wild mushroom demi
Pan Seared Quail
forbidden rice, wilted greens, maple bourbon apricot
Bone-in Pork Chop
dijon crusted, apple sage brown butter, baked sweet potato, candied carrots
herbed roasted new potatoes, blistered beets, meyer lemon, dill beurre blanc
Desserts of the Month
Pumpkin Crème Brûlée
Every Wednesday for the month of October at Haywood's there will be a different fall chef-inspired pasta special for under $20, paired with a featured cocktail or wine.
Join us at Haywood's for Jazz each Sunday night in October and enjoy a new twist on some traditional fall entrees, drinks, and desserts.
Peter Mathews on bass with:
- Oct 07 Tom Floyd
- Oct 14 Jon West
- Oct 21 Glen Holmes
- Oct 28 Bob Donnelly
Rocca Ristorante & Bar | Lexington
Featuring Virginia wines this month, starting with Chateau Morrisette Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay.
Sheridan Livery Restaurant and Wine Bar | Lexington
Featuring Virginia wines, including:
- Barboursville Chardonnay, Barboursville VA
- Lovingston Seyval Blanc, Lovingston, VA
- Jefferson Viognier, Monticello
- Jefferson Meritage, red blend, Jefferson Vineyards, Monticello
- Rockbridge Riesling, Rockbridge VA
Natural Bridge Historic Hotel & Conference Center | Natural Bridge
Chef has put together a basket of new dishes to take advantage of the fall harvest. Now on the Colonial Dining Room menu ...
- Pepper Seared Duck Breast | Served with a port wine and fig demiglace, pan-seared brussel sprouts and saffron risotto
- Stuffed Butternut Squash | Roasted squash filled with sautéed kale, roasted sweet potato, quinoa, chick peas and shaved parmesan cheese
- Herb Grilled Pork Loin | Grill fired pork loin finished with a wild onion and apple chutney, accompanied by a sweet potato mash and sautéed gresh greens
- Pan Seared Rainbow Trout finished with a cherry tomato & shallot vinaigrette atop couscous and fall garden greens
- Grilled Beef Sirloin, cooked to order and finished with an Italian Cippolini Onion Demiglace. Accompaniments include Potatoes Anna and a fresh sauté of fall vegetables
- Shrimp & Grits | Chef’s twist on a southern comfort classic with the fresh Gulf shrimp served atop dual colored cheddar grits, sautéed greens and pan sauce
- Grilled Salmon served with a parsnip puree, roasted sweet potatoes and grilled squash as a side