What makes Rockbridge County an ideal setting for a wedding? Yes, the backdrops are stunning – rolling green pastures, leafy college campuses, the sun-dappled Blue Ridge Mountains – but it’s the affordable range of support services that set the county apart. And we haven’t even mentioned Lexington’s beloved horse-drawn carriage, which has whisked brides and grooms to their happily-ever-after for decades.
Wedding venues include stately churches, lofty mountain inns, manicured B&B’s, chic downtown hotels, bucolic vineyards and inviting historic homes. Caterers are equally varied, serving up homespun favorites and gourmet specialties. Three top-notch BBQ joints are ready to bring the heat to your reception. Photographers, videographers, dj’s, salons and florists are also on-hand. For a wedding dress, women can pop into Becky’s Bridal & Formal while the groom and his crew can find formal wear at Alvin-Dennis.
Lexington sits conveniently at the crossroads of I-81 and I-64. The Roanoke Airport is an easy 50 miles south.
For a list of wedding resources including venues, caterers and more, visit the Wedding Services section in the Directory.
For the Wedding Party and Guests
Lexington and Rockbridge Area Tourism will be happy to provide the wedding party and/or guests with Wedding Information Packets filled with area attraction, lodging and dining information. Please contact our Guest Services Manager at 540-463-3777 for details.
1. Both parties must appear at the Rockbridge County Court House.
2. Both parties must have a valid driver's license to receive a marriage license.
3. The process of getting the marriage license takes about 10 minutes to fill out the paperwork. No blood test is required.
4. There is no waiting period before you can get married.
5. The marriage license is valid for 60 days.
6. The marriage license costs $30.
7. Marriage Commissioners (previously Justice of the Peace) can perform the ceremony. The fee for performing the ceremony may vary.
For more information, contact the Circuit Court Clerk at (540) 463-2232.
Terry Burt, Attorney - (540) 463-2950
Ginger Webb, Court Clerk - (540) 261-8632
J. B. (Benny) Lewis, Jr. - (540) 463-5101
H. David Natkin - (540) 464-3283
Grace Crickenberger - (540) 464-3283
Malcolm G. Crawford - (540) 463-9796
Charlene Whorley - (540) 463-5442