November Events & Activities
VIRGINIA CIDER WEEK
November 9 to 18 is Virginia Cider Week, a time to celebrate the lovely taste of one of our favorite fall flavors. Be sure to visit our new cidery, Halcyon Days Cider Co. on Route 11 in Natural Bridge.
November 3 is the Holiday Craft Bazaar at Glasgow Farmers Market in Glasgow. Shop from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and enjoy live music throughout the day.
Launch into the holiday season when you participate in the Candlelight Processional and Tree Lighting on Friday, November 23. Gather together in front of Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery to walk by candlelight through downtown Lexington, singing carols all the while. Your end point is Hopkins Green, where the community Christmas tree will be waiting to be lit.
Mark a few names off your gift-giving list when you shop in downtown Lexington. One great incentive to do so is the annual Love Lex Lotto, wherein shoppers collect stamps from participating shopkeepers to complete a card. When your card is full, return it for a chance to win a $1,000 downtown shopping spree. Love Lex Lotto runs from November 23 to December 24.
November 30 is a special shopping event at the RARA building on Spottswood Drive. The Tis the Season Artisan Market will feature an array of handmade items, including jewelry, pet blankets, crocheted and knitted goods, art, baked goods, doll and children's clothing, jams and jellies, and more. It's 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Get a head start on beating the side effects of tryptophan when you come out for the 7th Annual Gobble Wobble 5K and Fun Run in Lexington. This relatively new tradition occurs on Thanksgiving Day, starting at 8:30 a.m. from Maury River Middle School.
>> SEE MORE THANKSGIVING <<
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
Uncorked is the Sunday evening wine and music event at Rockbridge Vineyard in Raphine. From 1 to 4 p.m. the winery is a relaxing destination where a food truck is at hand for eats and the wine flows as smoothly as the music drifts on the wind.
Don't miss Ancient Inspirations: The Pueblo Pottery of Lorraine Gala Lewis & LaDonna Victoriano. The exhibit at Watson Pavilion is up through December 31, 2018, and it's the first Native American ceramics exhibition for the Reeves Center.
'Tis the season for concerts and plays, and Washington and Lee University is offering plenty. Take note of these for your calendar:
- Nov 5: Wind Ensemble - Reckoning
- Nov 10: Concert Guild / Antioch Chamber Ensemble
- Nov 11-14: Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
- Nov 15: Orchestra - Serenade
- Nov 29: Jazz Ensemble - Vosbein Magee Big Band Concert
Devils Backbone Outpost Tap Room & Kitchen welcomes local and regional musicians to set the mood and create an awesome ambiance a few times a month. November is no different.
- Nov 10: Kyle Forry and Justin Arnett
- Nov 15: Marie Anderson
- Nov 17: Unlucky & Lonesome
- Nov 24: Cross Eyed Cats
- Nov 30: Big Hannah and the Little Johnsons
If you like creating something unique that is sure to be a sentimental keepsake for years to come, check out some of the upcoming events at Lexington Collaboratory and Makerspace.
- Nov 13: Hand Cut Your Own Victorian Style Silhouette
- Nov 14: Laser Cutter Design
- Nov 20: Make a 3D Portrait
- Nov 27: Electronic Music Workshop
Other make-and-take opportunities:
- Nov 13: Make Your Own Cloth Napkins at Make It Sew
THE GREAT OUTDOORS
See the seasonal changes during the crisp Boxerwood Bird Walk on November 3. Join members of the Rockbridge Bird Club as they take the monthly count and help new birdwatchers identify the beauties they're watching. 8 to 10 a.m.
Natural Bridge State Park is a crown jewel of Rockbridge County (not to mention its name inspiration). Visit the park this month to take part in the following:
- Nov 3, 17, 23, 24: Legends of Natural Bridge
- Nov 3, 4, 10, 17, 18, 23, 24, 25: Skulls, Skins & More
- Nov 3, 17: Evening Ridge Line Wagon Rides
- Nov 4, 18, 25: Animal Residents
- Nov 6: Winter Speaker Series: Project Horizon
- Nov 10: Winter Speaker Series: Monica Hambrick, Alphornist
- Nov 23 - Jan 1: Festival of Trees
>> STATE PARK EVENTS <<
Jingle all the way! Go ahead and make a note of a few early December events so you're ready when it's time to roll.
- Dec 1: 'Tis the Season Artisan Market
- Dec 3-4: Washington and Lee University Holiday Pops Concert
- Dec 4: Christmas at the Jackson's
- Dec 4: Buena Vista Christmas Tree Lighting
- Dec 6: Buena Vista Christmas Parade
- Dec 7: Lexington Christmas Parade
- Dec 7-8: "Scrooge! The Musical" at Southern Virginia University
- Dec 8-9: Christmas in the Country Tour of Homes in Historic Brownsburg