Laurel Run Trail
This trail is quick and easy and only 1.4 miles each direction.
In the heart of Goshen Pass, this trail makes for a good hike along a beautiful small native trout stream. Nice waterfalls, and seasonal rhododendron and mountain laurel displays makes this 3 mile round trip hike most enjoyable. The trail is simple, easy, and ends at an area that has been deforested for electrical towers, which also serves as the approach for the hike up to Forge Mountain.
From the Lexington Visitor Center, drive west on Washington Street to a right onto Main Street (US-11 Business). Continue driving north on US-11 for approximately two miles. Turn left onto VA-39 W/ Maury River Road. After 13.7 miles, the small pull off for Laurel Run will be on the left.
- As of January 2012, all visitors to Goshen Wildlife Management Area are required to have a permit. All visitors 17 or older must have a permit or a valid Virginia hunting, freshwater fishing, or trapping license, or a current Virginia boat registration. These areas are designated and do not compose most of Goshen Pass.
- Hunters use the trail during hunting seasons. The best time to hike this trail is when the trailhead is gated. Check with the VA Department of Game & Inland Fisheries if you have any questions to insure a safe trip. (804) 367-1000.
- This hike is a quick way to stay fit and get some vitamin-D without having to go through the trouble of hiking for hours on end. Go early in the morning to start your day.
- A roadside marker at the Goshen Pass Wayside honors former Virginia Military Institute professor Matthew Fontaine Maury. Maury was a 19th-century oceanographer and mapmaker whose research revolutionized maritime navigation.
- Take a picnic to the Goshen Pass Wayside covered pavilion and dip your toes in the Maury River. It’s a favorite summertime swimming hole.
- Source your lunch locally with healthy, freshly prepared to-go options at Pronto Caffe & Gelateria in Lexington or visit BG’s 2 in Goshen for drinks, snacks, hardware items, and gasoline.