Douthat State Park
Douthat State Park has something for everyone! With areas to fish, hike, swim, and horseback ride, this park is perfect for nearly every outdoor activity.
Douthat State Park has multiple campsites as well as cabins for rent. Activities include fishing, swimming, riding, and hiking, The park features more than 40 miles of hiking trails that intertwine to fit every hiker’s interest.
Except for the YCC and Heron Run Trails, all are designated for both hiking and mountain biking. Many of these trails experience steep and rocky uphill and downhill with rough narrow paths that in some places run close to fairly steep drop-offs. Mountain bikers in particular should use extreme caution, yield to hikers, and always wear a helmet. Enjoy the many beautiful overlooks in the park but be mindful that black bears ae seen here from time to time.
Campgrounds accommodate tents, campers of all sizes, and RVs. Amenities include bathrooms, playgrounds, and picnic areas and pavilions with grills.
Parking for standard vehicles is $7, payable by cash, check or credit card at the information kiosks or at the main office. Maps are also available.
Douthat boasts an area specifically for anglers ages 12 and younger, making it a great park for kids.
From the Lexington Visitor Center, drive west on Washington Street to a right onto Main Street (US-11 Business). Continue driving north on US-11 for approximately two miles. Turn left to merge onto I-64 W and drive for 28 miles to exit 27. Turn right onto VA-629 (Douthat State Park Road) and continue for 5.6 miles. You will see signs for the park.
- Swimming areas are clearly designated and are open Memorial Day through Labor Day.
- Pets must be leashed no longer than 6 feet.
- Valid Virginia fishing licenses are required for individuals to fish in permitted areas. Specific licenses are required for trout-water fishing.
- Quiet hours are between 10 pm and 6 am.
- Check-in and out at the front office for campsites and cabins. The maximum stay per park is 14 days in any 30-day period.
- Douthat has a lodge and cabins available for rent; have a family or friend reunion weekend!
- Before jumping on I-64 W, pick up snacks and drinks at Blue Sky Bakery or Legendary east. Or sit down to artisan pizza and craft beer at Heliotrope Brewery.