Six Historic Stays of Lexington & Rockbridge County

Grand old homes line the streets of Lexington and dot the Rockbridge County countryside. The floors may creak and windows are likely bubbled, but aren't those the quirks we love so much when thinking about historic properties?

The Georges | 1789 and 1809

The Georges - Rear Porches of The Marshall BuildingComprised of two historic buildings in downtown Lexington that began as homes, The Georges is a luxury accommodation that also includes dining at Haywood's and TAPS.

The Washington Building (more commonly known as the Alexander Withrow House), is the beautiful brick Georgian-style home on the corner of Main and Washington Streets. It was built in 1789 and one of only two structures that survived the fire of 1796, which decimated Lexington.

The Marshall Building (more commonly known as the McCampbell Inn), is actually three buildings on the east side of Main Street. Built by John McCampbell in 1809, the Marshall Building features two additions (1816 and 1857), plus the two-story back porches added in 1971. Through its lifetime, the Marshall Building has served many uses, including a post office, telegraph, doctor's office, boarding house, and hotel. Renovations in 1979 and again in 2014 have ensured the historic building continues to offer hospitality to visitors to Lexington.

The Stay:

  • The Washington Building
    • 5 Suites
    • Haywood's Piano Bar
  • The Marshall Building
    • 13 Suites
    • TAPS
  • Fireplaces
  • Luxury Linens and Toiletries
  • DirecTV and WiFi
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Complimentary Coffee and Afternoon Refreshments
  • Available for Receptions


Forest Oaks | 1806

Matthew Houston, cousin of Sam Houston, built Forest Oaks in 1806 (pictured above). The home you see today, however, is larger and more grandiose than the original structure. Through its history, Forest Oaks has been a private residence, a store and tavern, and now, a bed and breakfast.

The Stay:

  • 6 Bedrooms with en Suite
  • Fireplaces and Claw-Foot Tubs
  • 1916 Vine Cottage Sleeps 10
  • Billiard Room
  • Solarium
  • Cable TV and WiFi
  • Complimentary Beverage and Snack Station
  • Available for Weddings and Receptions


Herring Hall | 1812

Herring HallThe Grigsby Family built Clover Hill, now Herring Hall, as one of "The Seven Hills of Rockbridge" in 1812. It was the centerpiece of a 600-acre plantation and operated as an Inn and Restaurant from 1926 to 1970.

The Stay:

  • 3 Bedrooms
  • Breakfast Included
  • Satellite TV in Parlor
  • WiFi


Rose Hill | 1820

Rose HillAnother of "The Seven Hills of Rockbridge," Rose Hill was built by Elijah Grigsby in 1820 using bricks made on the farm.

Situated on 370 acres of a working farm, Rose Hill has all of the amenities of home. The owners have worked to blend the things we love about historic homes with the things we expect and/or need today.

The Stay:

  • Whole House Rental
  • 2 Bedrooms | 2 Baths
  • Linens Provided; Washer & Dryer Available
  • Fully Stocked Kitchen
  • DirecTV and WiFi
  • Grills and Outdoor Games


Church Hill at Timber Ridge Plantation | 1848

Church Hill at Timber Ridge Plantation

The Reverend Horatio Thompson built Church Hill in 1848. While the home itself is an obvious historic treasure (National Registry of Historic Places and Virginia Historic Landmarks Registry), the land it sits on may be the more intriguing part of its story for some folks.

The Houston Family acquired the property - part of the 92,100-acre Benjamin Borden Land Grant - in 1742. They constructed a log home and their someday-famous son, Sam Houston, was born there. The home was possibly recycled into other buildings on the property when Church Hill was built.

In 2001, a Civil War-themed movie starring Robert Duvall was filmed in Lexington, Virginia, and Church Hill appears in several scenes as well. Watch for it when you next see Gods and Generals streaming or available on DVD.

The Stay:

  • Whole House Rental
  • 5 Bedrooms | 2 1/2 Baths
  • Linens Provided; Washer & Dryer Available
  • Fully Stocked Kitchen
  • DirecTV, Smart TVs, WiFi, Printer/Scanner, DVD, CD
  • Outdoor Dining with Grill, Bar, and Fire Pit
  • Available for Weddings and Receptions


Maple Hall Inn | 1850

Maple Hall InnThough Maple Hall proper was built in 1850 by John B. Gibson, The Guest House dates to 1824 and is the oldest structure at the once-named Maple Hall Plantation.

In the 1980s the manor house was restored to become an historic inn and operated as such through December 2012 when the owner passed away. The new owner breathed new life into the property he watched his grandmother tend, reopening Maple Hall Inn in 2014.

The Stay:

  • 12 Manor Rooms
  • 3 Guest House Rooms
  • 6 Pond House Rooms
  • In-Ground Pool
  • On-Site Restaurant
  • Wood-Burning Fireplaces
  • WiFi, DirectTV
  • Available for Weddings and Receptions

Not Done Exploring?

View Directory