Happy Fall, y'all! Mid-October is simply glorious in Lexington, Buena Vista, and Rockbridge County. We're surrounded by mountains - the Blue Ridge to the east and the Alleghenies to the west. There's no bad view from here. Get outside, savor the flavors of Virginia Wine Month, and love fall in #LexingtonVA.
October 5 & 6 in Raphine
- Cyrus McCormick is credited with inventing the mechanical reaper, and the annual Mill Day is a time to recognize his achievement and celebrate what would be his 209th birthday. The restored 1700s mill will be operational. Enjoy live music, demonstrations, and traditional arts and crafts vendors all day. Food will be available as well.
- October 5 is the 26th Annual Harvest Festival at Rockbridge Vineyard. Stomp some grapes, taste a variety of wine, enjoy live music, eat well, and take a hayride, too. Kids are welcome!
- October 5 and 6 is going to be a blast! It's the Pumpkin Bonanza at Swisher Farm in Raphine.
Later in Raphine ...
The 24th Annual Apple Butter Festival has become a family tradition for many as Wade's Mill hosts an impressive collection of artisans and demonstrators. Set for October 19, this year will include tastings from the brand new Halcyon Days Cider Co. and Rockbridge Vineyard, award-winning barbecue by Rocks Money Pit BBQ, chicken by Raphine Volunteer Fire Department, outdoor oven-baked bread, Dutch oven fruit cobblers, and the star of the show ... authentic apple butter made in a copper kettle over an open fire. It's a great experience for families, and admission and parking are both free.
>> MORE FESTIVALS <<
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
It's a Party at the Park October 19! 7 Mile Ford is playing Glen Maury Park at 8 p.m. Admission is $7 (cash only) and beverages will be available for purchase.
Uncorked is the Sunday evening wine and music event at Rockbridge Vineyard in Raphine. From 1 to 4 p.m. the winery is a relaxing destination where a food truck is at hand for eats and the wine flows as smoothly as the music drifts on the wind.
October 12 is Mountain Day in Buena Vista, a day when downtown takes on a street festival atmosphere as vendors and demonstrators line Magnolia Avenue. Enjoy the live music and entertainment, antique farm machinery, local history exhibits, and plenty of food and beverage options.
Downtown Lexington hosts the Science Festival & Maker Faire on October 13. Get your hands on all types of interactive fun; learn about DNA and what type of athlete you are. Admission is free.
Garden Bros. Circus is in town for one night only: October 15! Catch the three-ring action at 4:30 or 7:30 p.m., including the largest elephant and the smallest horse. Chinese acrobatics wow while the Sphere of Fear will likely make you hold your breath.
The annual Hull-O-Ween Bash at Hull's Drive-In is back! October 19th is your day to shine with costume contests, trunk-or-treat contests, and much more! Trick-or-treat the trunks and then settle in for an evening of family-friendly movies under the stars.
Highlight October 25 and 26. That's the Pumpkin Walk at Boxerwood Nature Center and Woodland Gardens. The Play Trail is lined with glowing jack-o-lanterns of all shapes and sizes, most donated by friends in the community. Join in 6 to 8:30 p.m. each night.
"An apple a day keeps the doctor a way." Or so they say. Regardless, you'll want to check out Apple Day at Stonewall Jackson House in downtown Lexington on October 26. It's a day of old fashioned fun, including demonstrations (and tastings!) of apple cider making. Crafts and games for the whole family from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Our restaurants and tasting rooms are awesome places to be. Check out the upcoming events that are sure to please ...
- October 1, 8, 15, 22, 29: Taco & Trivia at Devils Backbone Outpost Kitchen & Tap Room (DBB)
- October 2, 9, 16, 23, 30: Growler Grab Day at DBB
- October 3, 10, 17, 24, 31: Uncorked Wednesdays at Haywood's
- October 3, 10, 17, 24, 31: Growler Fill Specials at Great Valley Farm Brewery
- October 4, 11, 18, 25: Wine Tasting at Washington Street Purveyors
- October 6, 13, 20, 27: Sunday Brunch at DBB
THE GREAT OUTDOORS
Goat Yoga is still all the rage, and we have your goat yoga destination on lock. Register for a session at The Barn at Autumn Ridge Cottages. Their next session is October 27 from 1 to 2 p.m.; don't miss out!
Are you fueled up and ready for the Chessie Trail Marathon, Half-Marathon, and 5K?! It's October 19 on our famed rail-to-trail, the Chessie Nature Trail.
Boxerwood Nature Center and Woodland Gardens is offering "Walk & Talk" events this month to encourage exploration and education.
At Natural Bridge State Park this month ...
- October 12: Rockin' the Creek
- October 5, 19: Twilight Wagon Rides
- October 13: Full Moon Yoga
- October 26: Haunted History Hike
Meet Alycia Burton at the Virginia Horse Center October 14 for an inspirational and educational talk. Burton is a avid horseback performer, youth mentor, and horse trainer.