Happy Fall, y'all! Mid-October is simply glorious in Lexington, Buena Vista, and Rockbridge County. We're surrounded by mountains - the Blue Ridge to the east and the Alleghenies to the west. There's no bad view from here. Get outside, savor the flavors of Virginia Wine Month, and love fall in #LexingtonVA.
October 6 & 7 in Raphine
- Cyrus McCormick is credited with inventing the mechanical reaper, and the annual Mill Day is a time to recognize his achievement and celebrate what would be his 209th birthday. The restored 1700s mill will be operational. Enjoy live music, demonstrations, and traditional arts and crafts vendors all day. Food will be available as well.
- October 6 is the 25th Annual Harvest Festival at Rockbridge Vineyard. Stomp some grapes, taste a variety of wine, enjoy live music, eat well, and take a hayride, too. Kids are welcome!
- October 6 and 7 is going to be a blast! It's the Pumpkin Bonanza at Swisher Farm in Raphine. Pick your pumpkins and enjoy good "fire house food" by South River Volunteer Fire Department.
Later in October
October 13 is Mountain Day in Buena Vista, a day when downtown takes on a street festival atmosphere as vendors and demonstrators line Magnolia Avenue. Enjoy the live music and entertainment, antique farm machinery, local history exhibits, and plenty of food and beverage options.
Downtown Lexington hosts the Science Festival on October 14. Get your hands on all types of interactive fun to witness cause and effect, as well as take home something cool from the Maker Faire at Lexington Collaboratory and Makerspace. Admission is free.
"An apple a day keeps the doctor a way." Or so they say. Regardless, you'll want to check out Apple Day at Stonewall Jackson House in downtown Lexington on October 20. It's a day of old fashioned fun, including demonstrations (and tastings!) of apple cider making. Crafts and games for the whole family from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
October 20 is a date to circle if you're in love with the idea of field-to-fork dining on the farm. Big Spring Farm is hosting their first annual Fall Fest, which is an evening under lawn lights and stars with live music, locally-sourced fare, and tasty beverages.
Meanwhile, back in Raphine ... the 23rd Annual Apple Butter Festival has become a family tradition for many as Wade's Mill hosts an impressive collection of artisans and demonstrators. Set for October 20, this year will include tastings from the brand new Halcyon Days Cider Co. and Rockbridge Vineyard, award-winning barbecue by Rocks Money Pit BBQ, chicken by Raphine Volunteer Fire Department, outdoor oven-baked bread, Dutch oven fruit cobblers, and the star of the show ... authentic apple butter made in a copper kettle over an open fire. It's a great experience for families, and admission and parking are both free.
Highlight October 26 and 27. That's the Pumpkin Walk at Boxerwood Nature Center and Woodland Gardens. The Play Trail is lined with glowing jack-o-lanterns of all shapes and sizes, most donated by friends in the community. Join in 6 to 8:30 p.m. each night.
>> MORE FESTIVALS <<
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
Uncorked is the Sunday evening wine and music event at Rockbridge Vineyard in Raphine. From 1 to 4 p.m. the winery is a relaxing destination where a food truck is at hand for eats and the wine flows as smoothly as the music drifts on the wind.
Upcoming at Uncorked:
- 10/14: Jeff Mason and Dennis Thorne
- 10/28: Pete Fishman
The Passport to Adventure offers special pricing to Natural Bridge area attractions. Pick up passports at Lexington Visitor Center, Virginia Horse Center, McDonalds, RC State Theater, Natural Bridge Hotel, Natural Bridge General Store, Jellystone Park Campground, and Layne's Country Store.
THE GREAT OUTDOORS
At Natural Bridge State Park this month ...
- October 6-7, 13-14, 20-21, 27: Legends of Natural Bridge
- October 6-7, 13-14, 20-21, 27-28: Skulls, Skins & More
- October 6, 20: Star Dates & Wagon Rides
- October 7, 14, 21, 28: Diggin' Up Firepower
- October 13, 27: Ages of Appalachia
>> MORE STATE PARK EVENTS <<