Great Outdoors Month
June is Great Outdoors Month and there's no better time to get outside in Lexington, Buena Vista, and Rockbridge County. In fact, we have 10 great ways to celebrate and experience this beautiful piece of the Shenandoah Valley.
1. Visit Natural Bridge State Park, the 37th addition to the Virginia State Parks collection and Rockbridge County's most iconic landmark.
2. Walk, run or bike the Chessie Trail, a seven-mile rail trail that parallels the Maury River and connects Lexington to Buena Vista.
3. Climb House Mountain for the most impressive views of Rockbridge and beyond.
4. Kayak, paddleboard, or canoe the Maury River or Upper James River Water Trail.
5. Pedal along with the cyclists of the Trans Am Bike Race as they pass through Rockbridge County along the TransAmerica Bike Route, U.S. Route 76.
6. Explore the deepest caverns on the East Coast when you visit the Caverns at Natural Bridge.
7. Treat the kids to a day of outdoor adventure and water play at Boxerwood Nature Center and Woodland Gardens.
8. Swim, fish, and otherwise enjoy Goshen Pass. Long a hot spot for kayakers when the water is high and sunbathers when the sun is hot, the Maury River-carved gorge has a picnic pavilion for all day play.
9. Try your hand at pulling in a trout along St. Mary's River in St. Mary's Wilderness Area. The area is great for hiking, too.
10. Beat the heat with a trek up to Panther Falls, a swimming hole off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Always travel with friends and use good judgement.
For more outdoor inspiration, check out RockbridgeOutdoors.com.